Sunday 25 May 2014

Sheffield Triples 2014

This is one of my local gaming shows and also one of the larger ones in the north of England so I dutifully attended on the Sunday (it’s one of the rare two day events!). After having a rather pleasant drive down in the sunshine, listening to the new one from Fish (ex-Marillion bloke), I arrived at the English Institute of Sport in a cheery mood and parked up the road rather than be ripped off in the “official” car park.

The Institute is a rather large building, and appropriately so as it houses a Judo Hall, Combat Hall, Netball and Badminton Halls, Multipurpose Hall and a 200m Indoor Athletics Arena. The Triples event occupied one of the large halls with a small overflow hall that was badly signed to say the least and a further small part of the athletics hall for the Bring and Buy and some gaming event/tournament stuff. Others have critiqued the “bring and buy” so I won’t blather on about except to say that it was just another traders area for second/third/fourth hand goods, some prices being silly, others being fair. If you haggle you might get a deal however I didn’t see anything worth haggling for.

There were a selection of games being demoed however they didn’t seem particularly inviting, other than the EoTD table which had a number of youngsters getting stuck in to some good old gothic horror goodness. My main reasons for going were to pretty much soak up the atmosphere, look at new shinies and pick up a few weird bits that I haven’t been able to find anywhere else. So below is my haul, a couple of Osprey’s on the Peninsular War, another Ringwraith missing from my collection (only one more required!), Renedra barrels, FoW Burning Empires to support my burgeoning interest in North Africa (I’m using it as a sourcebook and at £6 brand new a steal), a pack of Ironmen from Black Pyramid for my VSF collection and a Stug III G from Warlord.


I also had a good chat with the guys from Timeline Miniatures who make some very affordable and interesting buildings suitable for VSF through to Modern. They also do some dark ages huts etc and their public house is excellent. I may have to invest.

Anyway here's the picture dump:

I'm not sure what this was however it looked really good,
even at 6mm (I think)

A war of Spanish Succession game that looked great. I spent quite a
while watching this one.



Empire of the Dead. Very visual, some great terrain simply laid out and popular with the young uns'

Love the detail on the greenhouse in the garden!

Huge Muskets and Tomahawks game. Made me want ot join in however I was flagging at this point and wanted a cuppa!
 


Bolt action, nice small board

A little reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan!

Not sure the system but an excellent LRDG raid in 28mm. Those Junkers looked huge (and rightly so!)


No comments:

Post a Comment