Friday 7 March 2014

Oh dear, he’s at it again - Cheapo Terrain Board

Well my fine hobby colleagues, much like the proverbial red admiral (the butterfly!) I find myself flitting from project to project. Not content with reviving my LoTR SBG gaming, modelling a village and board for IHMN, finishing my Age of Arthur Saxons for a campaign day and expanding my Afrika Korps I have decided to make a terrain board.

Now this isn't any old terrain board, oh no, this is one on the “cheap” much like some of my previous projects.

So to make sure I don’t deviate from track record here is the spend so far:

4 x Preframed artists canvasses 50cm x 60cm - £7.96
Sand from a kids playground - £0.00
3 x Paint tester pots - £1.50 (£0.50p each)
PVA - already had it but I used maybe a third so - £0.63p
Decorators filler - as above so - £0.34p
Bag of Woodland scenics blended turf - £7.99


So far that’s £18.42. As I was aiming for under £20 I'm quite happy although I may have to splash out on some wing nuts to make sure it all stays together under the rigours of play. As you can probably see from a couple of the photos part of the frame of one of the tiles is warped and as such has a rather significant gap (a Hobbit could probably fall through it), although this does close up when clamped.Also I’ll have to give it a good old with sealant to make sure it doesn’t drop to bits, however the FD managed to sneak that from the bin at her work so that’s free!
My LoTR SBG rule book to give a sense of scale
As I made it from artists canvasses its very light and quite thin and so it stacks away quite comfortably on top of the cupboards in the laundry room.
A smattering a terrain
Gandalf see's off one of those nasty Nazgul!


Till next time folks when hopefully you'll see it in action as I should be able to start the Fellowship Journeybook with a couple of the guys at the club!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment