Friday 10 January 2014

Dino Wrangling in Darkest Africa - AAR

A more traditional AAR this one as it does not contribute to Inspector Johnson’s story arc however it does feature his brother, Lt Col. Johnson and was a trial outing of my Dino Wrangling rules for IHMN. Luckily I had a willing opponent in Geraint who is pretty good at pulling rules together himself and was happy to cast a careful eye at my scribblings!

Oh and here's a link to download the rules from Google Drive

The premise of last nights game was one of capturing some mythical beasts in the “Lost World” and returning them to London for the masses to marvel at. Being a little short of cash and in between missions the Lt Colonel was happy to accept the contract and ventured into the jungle with his trusty troops and a few native guides to try and attempt to wrangle a few of these creatures. Needless to say it was not without hiccup as the so called “Lord of the Jungle” Tarzan had other ideas - namely to guide the beasts to safety and away from the questionable intentions of Her Majesty’s Empire.

As per my draft rules we deployed on opposing board edges and then radomised the Dino’s entry points (we only used three Dino’s for the game). Unfortunately they all appeared on the same short board edge! Tarzan had kept his small force together in the center of his deployment (Tarzan, Great Ape, Shaman and four Natives) whereas I had split mine into three groups covering the full width of the board (Lt Col & two Natives, three Natives in the center & a Sergeant and two Riflemen on the flank).

The game began and immediately I had a problem as the Hunterosaur moved through cover towards my Riflemen (the Hunterosaur ignores cover penalties and moves 9”). In the draft rules Dino’s move randomly unless there is a wrangler within 6” at which point they move towards them. With the Hunterosaur being so fast through terrain I would be foolish to enter the woods to try wrangle it. Seeing that the Dino’s were all on the far side of the board the Lt Colonel and his natives hightailed it across the board as fast as possible. However Tarzan had other ideas, sending his natives to wrangle the Angryosaur whose random movement sent it through the woods towards him, whilst he and the Great Ape ran straight forwards to intercept the Lt Col and natives.

As things developed we both learned that Dino’s are hard (that’s hard with a capital “oh my god its just eaten someone”!) with the Angryosaur using its very angry “Rarrrrr” to reduce the shoot value of Tarzans natives thereby reducing their ability to wrangle it. However they did better than my rifles managing to get two lasso’s on the beast (leg and mouth). This meant that it was less effective at fighting (FV was halved) and could only move 6” towards the wrangle that had hooked its leg making it much more predictable. Geraint being the jammy player that he is managed pass his natives Pluck roll to disengage each time the Dino moved into contact (he’s hooked the leg remember!). Because I had written in that you roll for priority for the Dino’s just like any other player controlled model the Angryosaur was frequently moving and fighting before Geraint’s natives so those Pluck rolls to disengage were invaluable.

Meanwhile I pushed one of my Riflemen into the woods to try and tempt the Hunterosaur out thinking that I could disengage when it moved into contact with my Rifleman. But oh it was not to be as I fluffed the roll and then the thing gobbled him up in true Ray Harryhausen fashion.

So currently Tarzan and co have two lasso markers on the Angryosaur and I’m minus one Rifleman. If Tarzans other two natives can hook the beast he’ll have four markers and be able to drag it safely off the board. He’d only need one more Dino to win or alternatively just kill off my troops so I can’t get the requisite four lasso markers to capture one.

Then disaster struck! I used one of my natives as a tasty treat for the Hunterosaur (“ere, Zuma, go stand over there, we’ve got your back mate!) which obviously couldn’t resist and pounced out of the woods on the innocent young tribesman. It was at this point that we agreed that Dino’s should have the Terrifying rule (doh!) and therefore I duly took my Pluck test, which I failed and backed off, leaving the Hunterosaur standing in front of three eagerly waiting lasso’s. Roll the first dice, ooh a hit, roll on the Dino table, a ten………

The damn thing fell over, narrowly missed young Zuma and broke its neck!

Hurrah you might say however the aim of the game is Dino Wrangling not Dino killing. The Lt Colonel’s paymasters would not be happy with a dead Dino!

And while all this is going on Tarzan is trying to despatch my other natives, the Lt Colonel is having a bit of a disagreement with a Great Ape and Geraint’s natives are singularly failing to capture the Angryosaur to the point where, being jealous of the Hunterosaurs Ray Harryhausen audition it promptly scoffed one of the wranglers and his lasso (Dino Spaghetti!).

Its not looking good for either party at the moment. I decide to go interfere with Geraint’s natives while Tarzan is tied up with my natives. It was at this point that Geraint reminded me that there was a third Dino on the board, the Veggiesaur which had been happily wandering around eating trees and ignoring the mayhem. So I changed my original plan and headed in its general direction, luckily it obliged by ambling towards my rather flustered wranglers.

Geraint could see that his attempts with the Angryosaur were not really going to succeed and he managed to disengage his worried natives to then copy my plan and interfere with my attempts to capture the Veggieosaur. Then just to add insult to injury the Lt Colonel despatched the Great Ape with a rather callous pistol shot (quick call the RSPCA!) and headed over to intercept this new threat. Meanwhile Tarzan discovered that earlier in the day Jane had been cleaning the treehouse and mistakenly swapped his fighting knives for rubber spoons (he couldn’t hit for toffee!!).

Success was mine for the taking as I managed to hit with all four lasso’s on the Veggieosaur. The following turn it was just a case leading said captured beastie to my board edge.

Hurrah!

Errr….  until one of Geraints sneaky natives did what Tarzan had been unable to do all day and despatch one of my brave stalwarts of Her Majesty’s Empire, none other than Lt Colonel Johnson himself!

Rest assured dear readers her recuperates as we speak as it was only a flesh wound..*cough, cough*

All in all not a bad outing for my little Dino Wrangling rules, a few tweaks and some very obvious missing bits (terrifying!). I’ll try and get them drafted up and posted up here in the next few days once I’ve incorporated any other comments. The Draft is over on the Lead Adventurer Forum if you’d like a lookee!



No comments:

Post a Comment