Monday 11 November 2013

Terrain Update

This is a quick one as I beaver away at populating my nice new gaming board. There are many really good blogs that document the authors efforts at scratch building buildings and terrain (and here’s just two -  Scotts Wargaming and London By Midnight) however I really don’t have the time to devote to it at the moment (two young children, busy job etc etc).

So I have invested in the amazing innovation of MDF laser cut buildings. Now with a limited budget I have had to spread my funds around a little therefore I have decided that I can afford the time to paint and accessorise my terrain. I shall be doing a little scratch building however these are my first purchases from Martin at Warbases

The Church is a lovely little model, very reminiscent of the small village churches dotted around the English countryside and shall be styled on the local church in Ilkley close to where I grew up. It was easy(ish) to build using wood glue, almost all the slots fit well except for the tower floor which needed a little filing. 

However now we come to the problem, I also bought Warbases warehouse model with the view to use it a either a coach house or some kind of steam factory. After building it I then put it next to the church and did a little mental scream - its huge!


 Without a sense of scale the warehouse model makes the church look ridiculous and I shall have to dress the model to explain the scale of. Therefore I’ll be calling in to my local craft shop today for plenty of Evergreen and Plastruct bits and pieces so I can then explain the scale. I’m thinking along the lines of pipes and guttering, fire escapes and walkways (both internal and external). One of the key criteria for my buildings are that you can game the interior therefore I’m very happy that 4Ground have started releasing furniture. Hopefully that should help put the building in scale.

The plan for the Church is to set it in its own grounds, surrounded by a low stone wall. To give it some more height I’m going to mount it on a slight incline and I’m toying with the idea of seating it on some plasticard with etched brick work to give it more height. I also have a graveyard planned to sit separate from the church (using the Renedragravestones) as quite often in the UK graveyards are apart from the church.

Now, I have a deadline for this lovely terrain as I recently had an email chat with Steve at Sarissa and have some of their lovely Gaslamp Alley buildings on the way, they currently don’t list a bundle offer on their website however they’re happy to discuss your needs.

Next up is an update to Inspector Johnsons Casebook which describes a very brutal encounter with rogue elements of Her Britannic Majesty’s military!

Stay tuned and thanks for reading.
Ste




1 comment:

  1. They look good, and give me some ideas for my own terrain building... thanks for the mention :-)

    ReplyDelete