Thursday 28 November 2013

Flames of War - US Para’s

I’ve been tinkering around with Flames of War for some time, I even have a German armoured company (all PSC models) but never really taken the time to focus on Battlefront models and collect a force that I actually wanted to. In previous posts I highlighted my intention of collecting 101st Airborne and have been slowly acquiring models, well I’ve finally got down to finishing off a whole Platoon (wow).



Its not really an earth staggering quantity of painting to be honest however for me its pretty good for me, I’m not the worlds fastest painter and often don’t find the time to really focus on something. Anyway with these I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed painting them, I approached it in an assembly line way of basing the whole platoon, spray undercoat and base coat, pick out all the detail and then wash and highlight. The one mistake I did make is to finish painting the models and then paint the base which is far too risky on 15mm mini’s as I had to do some unneeded touching up.

Colours used were:
Cheapo Auto Black spray undercoat
PSC US vehicle spray base coat
Vallejo Model Colour Khaki - Webbing
Vallejo Model Colour Flat Earth - Boots and rifles
Vallejo Model Colour Brown Violet - helmets and water bottle.
Vallejo Model Colour Black - Weapon barrels basecoat
Graphite Art Pencil B - Weapon barrels
Vallejo Sepia Ink - all over wash.
Vallejo Game Colour Leather Brown - Gloves





I’m please with the results, even the abstract Screaming Eagle “blobs” on the uniform sleeves looks ok. I decided not to paint the US Flag on the Para’s as I can’t find consistent imagery of the presence of the flag. I’ve painted it on the Glider Recon Jeeps and the Glider 57mm gun crew as a) it looks cool and b) I painted them first and I wanted to see how hard it would be.




Anyone think I should put it on the Para uniforms?
So now in my painting queue I only have:
Para platoon (No. 2)
Para HQ
Airborne Engineer Platoon
Machine Gun Platoon
Mortar Platoon
Recon section for my M10's
Four M10's
Two MG jeeps for my Glider R&I platoon

And in case your wondering this army was built around the "oooh that looks nice" ethos rather than an actual list!

Oh and incidentally these models haven't rolled a dice in anger yet, I really should roll them out on to the table top!

And finally the images are crap because I took them with my phone under bad light (bad light, bad light screamed the cricketer!). Sorry

1 comment: