Friday 8 November 2013

IHMN - The Tiles in Action

My project to create a suitable gaming surface for my Inspector Johnsons Casebook continues apace. You may recall that I purchased some of these lovely little items from a UK DIY store recently - http://www.wilko.com/wall-and-floor-tiles/wilko-floor-tiles-textured-vinyl-mosaic-beige-305mmx305mm-x-6/invt/0318811

Well I have finally thrown together my 3ft x 3ft board and thoroughly glued them in place (the self adhesive properties are exactly that - they stick to themselves (and me!)). Having finally badgered another member of my gaming circle into joining the weird and wonderful world of VSF (he plays Malifaux so it wasn’t difficult) we thrashed through a rather boisterous 3 player game with my regular opponent which I will not go into detail on (an update to the Casebook is pending). However it did give me chance to try out my table and assess whether the tiles look right in terms of scale and colouring. The buildings used are the clubs prepainted resin Conflix ones as my Warbases and Sarissa ones aren’t ready yet.

The comments I received from the other players are that the tiles are a little clean and look too Mediterranean. Too a degree I agree however they were never intended to reflect a gritty Victorian London street but rather a quiet leafy country town/village (Little Minching as detailed in the Casebook!). Luckily I have a few tiles left over so I can try out some weathering washes to see if I can muddy it up a bit.


So let me know what you think:



5 comments:

  1. I like the tiles. I'm trying to work on a reading system myself for empire of the dead at 50mmgameroom. Not easy. Vinyl tiles is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Dan
      Vinyl tiles are very easy to cut and cheap, I purchased mine for £9 ($17 NZ) and that was to cover about 2m sq so I have spares. I intend to use the rest for roading and I'll post up the results.
      Also great blog mate, nice close ups of the Sarissa buildings (which I have on order :-).
      Ste

      Delete
  3. Not bad at all mate. Agree you could darken it down with a shading wash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. I'll be doing a test wash on the spare tiles using artist acrylic this weekend (if the kids will let me :-))

      Ste

      Delete