Tuesday 28 May 2013

Warhammer on a budget.

Have you ever had the urge to do something just to see if it can be done.  Well thats the subject of this post and begins over two years ago when i decided to abandon Games Workshop following the release of Wargaming for Dummies... err I mean Warhammer Fantasy Battles 8th Edition. Since the release of that weighty but vacant tome I've played Wfb 8th twice and purchased nothing other than a tin of chaos black spray and stocked up on Devlan Mud wash.

Anyway getting back to my original topic a friend of mine at my local gaming club runs a WFB tournament every year called the Pennine Pillage (it's based in Halifax, West Yorkshire, middle of the Pennines). It's a low points competition and is always good fun so I decided to enter this year however I thought I should do something a little weird.
So this was my self appointed challenge - at a time when a GW fantasy army costs as much as a medium sized nuclear reactor, how cheaply can I put together a 1500 pts army.  Now in previous editions this would have been a doddle - old hands at the game will surely remember the days of between 3 and 5 model armies (argh Tzeentch chariot mage craziness). But that's not for me, I wanted something that was fair and would be interesting to play with. So I could have cruised evilbay, Mantic or even the Bring And Buy at conventions and shows but I thought "no not hard enough".

So how did i overcome this mammoth task I hear you ask. Well first of all I picked a force,  namely daemons as I have the book and for reasons that shall shortly become obvious the models should be easy to source. Then the evil overlords of GW nastiness released a new edition if the army book. As I'm not willing to sell a kidney to by the darn thing I plugged for borrowing a copy of a mate whilst writing a list using Battlescribe (you gotta love it).
Then on to buying the minis.  Here's where it got  fun:
  • Five packs of  kids toy insects - £5
  • Balsa wood for the bases - £2.10
  • Cheap auto spray - £1
  • Sand for texturing - free (i nicked it from the the park)
  • Paints - Old GW Paints that had dried out.
  • Flock and base dressing - some leftovers from a terrain project (so kind of free).


So far so good. All I gotta do is convert it, paint it and label it so my opponents know what the heck each unit is. Below are a couple of pics of the task in progress, I'll post more as i get out completed.

2 comments:

  1. LOL I like your ingenuity... I have already seen kids rubber toy spiders used routinely for Giant spiders for LOTR gaming...
    I guess the only way to go cheaper than this is just to use card counters??? ;-)

    BTW for black spray, I use a Plastikote brand black primer spray, and for the washes , Vallejo do 200ml bulk packs in Black and Sepia, both excellent...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Sepia on order and am slowly crunching through my Army painter dip (its good stuff if you want to churn out a high volume of models) although I do prefer to use more traditional methods for my character models.

      I think my next project may be LoTR as cheap as possible - although like you I love the imagery from the films so will probably go down the evilbay route for used models that need a little loving.

      Ste

      Delete