Tuesday 21 May 2013

Triples 2013


On a lovely wet Saturday afternoon in May I found myself tearing down the beautiful M1 motorway (or highway for my colonial cousins) on my way to Sheffield Triples 2013. It is apparently the norths premier wargames event, and who am I to challenge such a lofty statement (north of England, not world!).

Anyhoo I arrived distressed having just got rudely propositioned by some young scoundrel in his german automobile for my rather saintly driving and luckily bumped into two of my erstwhile colleagues in the gaming fraternity. Lucky because all three of us were lost and with a little luck and blind wandering about managed to find the venue (we went the opposite way to the trail of gents with carrier bags proclaiming all manner of gaming goodies just acquired).

Triples is held at the English Institute of Sport in Sheffield and I have to say its Hugggggggggggggeeeeeeee. Two halls of traders and demo games. However large the location it was very spacious and maybe was a little under-attended for the size. I was there primarily to pick up two things

  1. My lovely pre-ordered Davco WW2 ships from Skytrex. As they’re selling off that side of the business I thought it prudent to get them while I can. Roll on the refight of Sink the Bismarck!
  2. To purchase In her Majesty’s Name, Victoriana steampunk rules written by Craig Cartmell and published by Osprey.


So off I trundled, cash burning a hole in my pocket, my eyes greedily taking in all the lovely toys when I behold something insanely brilliant - remote controlled tank battles. I’ll let the picture do the talking. 

A quick peruse of the bring and buy and it was on to purchase my goodies and I have to say the Figs for IHMN are lovely. They’re being released by Northstar however the rules are relatively open to allow you to use any manufacturers figures. In fact that’s kind of what attracted me to the game, the freeness (is that a word?) of the system. Included in the rules are a number of Adventuring Companies however the rules provide the mechanism to create your own and its this aspect that appealed to the latent roleplayer in me. Who’d have thought it.




Anyhow I’ll chuck up some pictures as they progress. I’m quite looking forward to it and am currently dreaming up my Consulting Detective’s arch nemesis, Professor………?


Below are a few pics from the demo games on the day.

 A nice Battlegroup Kursk game.





Napoleonics

Thirty Years War?
 Apologies for the crappy pictures, my phone doesn't seem to like taking them - go figure!

3 comments:

  1. The Professor shall make an appearance over the summer with his own Company... watch the IHMN blog for details :)
    Cheers,
    Craig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, thanks for the update Craig. I've signed up to the blog so will keep my beady little eyes peeled. I may just have to write up my own interpretation just to give old Holmes an opponent of I run demos at our club as an interim.
      Either way, keep it up.

      Delete