Wednesday 30 October 2013

WW2 Terrain

Bolt Action has become quite a big thing at our club since its release last year with about 8 players and at least two games a week going on. The club in general has about 30 members and what with membership fees and income from tournaments (40k mainly) we have a healthy bank balance. Now as you can imagine with this quantity of gamers regularly playing each week you need a decent amount of terrain. Most of the club members began on Games Workshop games in the main although there are a few FoW, DBM, HoTT players as well and therefore most of the terrain is themed around both Fantasy and Sci-Fi gaming. Over the last couple of years there has been a move away from the big GW games to other systems and genre’s and therefore a need for terrain that fits in with the games.

In terms of 28mm WW2 gaming we have a some fences, hedges (bocage for FoW) and the nice medieval buildings made by Conflix but nothing that says “Normandy in 1944” or “The defence of Stalingrad”.

So we splashed out. We had a quick club meeting, distributed the funds so various members could order goods with me getting the Bunkers category. Now after doing a little scouting around it would seem that there are a few decent companies currently selling WW2 bunkers:

Baueda - Selling the Cama range of resin bunkers 

Steel Models - 1/72 scale resin 

However as we have a campaign day coming up (see previous post) we need to be able to cover at least 5 tables with scenery that at the very least looks a little like the Normandy landings I need to be a little bit conservative with the funds I’ve been allocated. Therefore I went with these guys - Amera Plastic Mouldings . They do a large range of vacuum formed terrain for both fantasy and future wargaming and recently made the Dreadball stadium for Mantic!


Sixty quid got me 5 observation bunkers, 5 concrete emplacements and two large trenchline bunkers. That’s not bad considering I’d probably only get three resin bunkers for that price. Admittedly the resin ones are really nice however I’m on a tight budget and would like to make all the tables for the campaign day look “good” rather than one look “amazing”!

So here's the pics with both before and after. I've included a few 28mm British Infantry to give an idea of scale (sorry about the quality of the images, I'm rubbish with a camera).












I think they've turned out alright for vac-formed plastic. I've based both of these on hardboard to give them some "heft" and hopefully allow them to keep their shape. As they are smooth plastic (see first pics) I've painted them with a little watered down polyfilla to give me some kind of texture to drybrush. Then its just cheap artists acrylic and my own mixed basing flock.

Now I've just got  four more bunkers and concrete barriers and two large bunkers to complete!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog post and thanks for the mention really impressed with your painting of our scenery. hoping OK to share? Jane from Amera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane
    Thanks for the comment, they painted up really well. Feel free to share the images, I appreciate the courtesy. I'll be doing a write up of our campaign day on the 1st with pics so hopefully you'll see some more of your stuff in action ( along with others as well).
    Cheers
    Ste

    ReplyDelete