Wednesday 5 June 2013

Warhammer On A Budget Part 2

So after much tinkering, messing and gluing and the occasional splash of paint I have now completed my little Warhammer Fantasy army on a budget (barring two character models which my mate Chris is buying for the princely sum of £0.48p each from the museum giftshop).

I began this in part as a giant screw you to GW (which is kind of pointless as they couldn’t care less) but also to see if I could do it to any level of acceptable quality. I did preview these lovely little creepy crawlies at the club last week as they shall be my Daemons of Chaos army for the tournament this coming Sunday and I was a little shocked at the response:

“So guys what do you think” says I all innocent like

“What are they“ says one, “What do they represent” says another.

“Oh that’s a plague bearer unit, that’s a Beast of Nurgle and they’re Furies”

Choruses of “I’d think they were all swarms, I don’t get it” and “where’s the champion and standard bearer” and “you can’t tell what they are”, oh and this was the best “I wouldn’t play it because they aren’t WYSIWYG!”

So it would seem that there’s a lack of imagination at my club. I did explain that each unit would have a nice little label on the base identifying the unit choice, but that was ignored in favour of the general reply of “it’s not GW”.

Huh?

I really did think this hobby was about imagination however it would seem that there’s a group out there that don’t want to use it but would rather have the “official” imagination foisted on us by a corporate entity aimed at maximising profits for shareholders……….rant rant rant.

Sorry got sidetracked, so without further ado here’s the finished article

The full 1500 pts Daemons of Chaos
Plaguebearers

Ooh look - Standard!
Plaguebearers again

And another Standard!

Beasts of Nurgle

Fleshounds of Khorne
Second unit of Fleshounds

Furies of Nurgle


Nurglings
Sorry for the pics, took them on my phone.


And for reference here's the costs:
6 x pack of childrens toy insects  - £6
Sheet of 3mm balsa wood - £2.10
Mixed sand - Free
Twigs, moss and flock - Free
2 x Auto spray paint - £2
Uhu adhesive - £0.99p
Old GW paints that had dried up - As I was throwing them I’ll say free.


So that’s a grand total of £11.09

5 comments:

  1. Hey that's a hell of an idea! I like it very much.
    Shame on those GW fan boys who lack the imagination thats a primary foundation of this hobby in my humble opinion.
    I might steal one idea or the other once!

    Thanks for sharing

    GS (from lead-adventure.de)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinch , borrow, steal to your heart's delight my friend. That's why i put them up. I'm a hobbyist and gamer whereas some folks are only gamers and sometimes they don't get it.
      Thanks.

      Delete
  2. These turned out really well Ste, very imaginative.

    It really isn't a great stretch of cognitive ability to work out and remember what is what, and as long as the base sizes match up then it should work fine. Even if you had to track casualties with casualty markers...
    OK you might not get to compete at a GW run tournie, but for goodness sake, the local club should offer no barriers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as a side thought, at the moment I mostly play FoW, and we often change our lists around to try out different forces, but don't always have the correct troops, so we proxy in other similar troops and let the opponent know whats going on... it really isnt difficult. Again I wouldn't do this at an official tournie, but for a routine 'club game' this should never be a problem...

      Delete
    2. Compete at a GW tournie????? Heaven forbid, I get frowned at every time I call in to top up on spray and reply "historicals" to the predictable questioning.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete