Saturday 6 June 2015

More junk from nothing!

You may recall that in a previous post I exhibited my lovely little 15mm desert village of Do Ahh Diddy made from scraps of junk! Well I decided to add to that a little creative extravaganza with the British 8th Army forward Observation base of Dum Diddy

I cracked these out one Saturday afternoon when the weather was being unruly (as it often is here in Wellington). The kids were quite baffled why daddy was cutting up a toilet roll, bottle tops and biscuit wrapping however once complete they were quite pleased with “daddy’s soldier houses”.

As I said I crafted these from a toilet roll cut in half, I then cut a couple of plastic milk bottle tops in half and glued them at either end to provide some strength. Whilst this was drying I grabbed the corrugated biscuit wrapping card that I had set aside ages ago in my random bits box (how blokey is that, “it’ll come in handy one day” I must have thought) and squished it as the corrugations were the wrong scale. Then it was cut to size and PVA liberally applied and stuck down (elastic bands came in handy at this point). The remaining toilet roll tube was then used to cut blanks for the wall ends of each hut (the bottle tops weren’t smooth enough) and doors and windows applied.


Liberal application of sand to a card base and some random junk from the bits box was applied, spray undercoat of Humbrol dark sand and then various washes, dry brushing and a bit of spit and polish (along with a little blood as I cut my thumb without realising it) and hey presto – a forward ops base for the British 8th army to abandon/reclaim/abandon in the weirdness that was the Benghazi handicap!

If you look closely at my previous post covering the action at our recent gaming day at Chez Bowman you may spot my little obs post. They doubled up as excellent field kitchens for my CO's brew ups!

And talking of that recent desert extravaganza here's the objective token I received as a memento of the event.

I believe it was Paul who suggested we all made objectives to exchange on the day and this was the one that Ash painted up. I didn't have any models suitable so kit bashed something from my random bits box - Ali Baba's second hand gun emporium. Unfortunately I completely forgot to take any pics however if you had on over to Paul's blog you may just find it as he was the lucky recipient!

No comments:

Post a Comment