Monday 24 November 2014

Arghhh the Apocalypse is Coming!

Before you all go running for the hills with your canned goods and firearms let me clarify that it’s only coming to the kitchen table in my house. You see I’ve been working on my significantly better half for a while on the idea of gaming. Now I know I will never (ever, ever, ever) get her into true tabletop wargaming and all that involves (list building, a lead/plastic mountain and the ridiculous pursuit of the ‘perfect’ ruleset) I have finally achieved some buy in and recently bought the below:

On a whim a few birthdays ago I requested the first season of The Walking Dead which someone duly provided (wrapped in nice shiny kids wrapping paper with lovely little toy cars on it!). My wife was a little perplexed as neither of us had seen any of it or heard anything about it however I was having a few apocalypse gaming urges and thought this may provide some much needed inspiration. So we popped on the first episode one night and settled down with a cup of tea and a biscuit (not those crazy Rich Tea ones though as they dissolve if you try and dunk them!). 15 minutes in and we were both riveted. 3 hours later we’d devoured the first disc and a full packet of Digestives and three cups of tea. And so the obsession began.

Unfortunately we also moved to the other side of the planet at the same time so have been unable to keep up with developments in the world of The Walking Dead and have only now acquired the season 4 box set and seen none of the currently airing season 5 (so keep your mouths shut!!!)

And so we arrive at Zombicide. I’ve played it a few times and really enjoyed the Prison Outbreak version, so a quick chat after a really brutal episode of Walking Dead and my wife says “hell yeah I’ll play a zombie game”.

So I called in to a local hobby shop and acquired a copy of said game and a few days later we cracked through the first scenario, my wife having her doubts. However within half an hour she was punching the air as we cut down a fattie and two walkers to clear the path to one of the objectives.

I’ve also ordered a copy of Across the Dead Earth as I’ve been watching the development quite closely (thanks Simon – brummieswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk) and like the mechanic as well as the setting (gun fights in a ruined Tesco – hell yeah!). I’m hoping they manage to get the zombie add on up and running and then I can pretend to be a British Rick Grimes charging about looking emotionally tortured whilst kicking butt!

No comments:

Post a Comment