Tuesday 10 February 2015

The Missus Would Thrive in the Zombie Apocalypse! (Oh and a newpodcast!)

"Turns out I’m a bit of a dud when it comes to battling the undead whilst scavenging for supplies, as our most recent game of Zombicide would attest to. Its been a few weeks since we managed to squeeze a game, both my better half and I being a tad busy to think about battling the legions of undead however we decided to have a nice relaxing game last Saturday and played one of the smaller missions (mission 4).

This one is supposed to be played in 90 minutes however it took us a good 2.5 hrs to complete, however we did actually complete it which makes a change. It only uses 4 of the map tiles however it does use both the rotating door and several door switches. The objective is for the survivors to leave the prison and cross the road to a workshop to obtain the welder (presumably to fortify their sanctuary). The nasty part is that you have to activate the rotating door and then use the violet switch to open another door, however the violet switch activates a zombie spawn point in the same room that the rotating door switch is in. Therefore you have to leave someone behind, whilst the rest of the party battle through the hordes and retrieve the welder, get back in to the prison and shut the doors!

Well we managed getting to both switches no problem however by this point a big crowd of zombies were loitering right outside the prison door (a few fatties and an abomination included). Now normally when you get such a big swarm at a choke point like this you find the bottles and gasoline and Molotov cocktail their asses! However we couldn’t find any bottles (grrr) so plugged instead for battling through, leaving two of my characters behind to manage the doors and zombies that would be spawning in the prison once the violet switch was activated.

So how did it all go wrong Ste? Well it didn’t, at least not for the missus who bludgeoned her way through the rotting horde and made a bee line for the objective, clearing the streets in the process. However the survivor I had sent with her team was beaten down and returned as a Zombivor, but he was useful backing her team up.

Meanwhile I cocked up my movement leaving one of my survivors as zombie bait and she was dragged down and returned as a very wounded Zombivor. My remaining team member then miraculously found some bottles and promptly Molotov’d the room to clear the way to the rotating door switch so I could let the other team back in. Unfortunately this also meant I lost my poor Zombivor (so I’m down to two team members now, one of which smells bad and grunts a lot).

So there you have it, my team got beaten silly while my wife’s team were on their way to rivalling Rick, Darrell and Michonne as uber zombie killers.

(I don’t think we’ll play using the zombivor resurrection rules in furture, doesn’t feel right. Once you’ve been scoffed you’re dead!)
 
Oh and if you like zombie apocalypse stories then here’s a link to a free radio style drama podcast in the same vein as The Walking Dead. I’ve been enjoying this whilst painting for the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. Each episode is about 15 mins and they’re broken up into chapters of 3 episodes. They finally finished the story at chapter 48 so my poor math skill calculates that there are 144 episodes running to 36 hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment