Friday 4 April 2014

AAR - Ducks and Turtles

In the cut and thrust world of pondtop wargames there's none harder or more tournament oriented than Ducks and Turtles.

Now some of you may say that it's not really that hard, that it doesn't have the complexity or sheer, mind boggling difficulty of other pond games like Frogger or that annoying Hook a Duck thing at fairs and the like, but I say "phooey" this is the real deal. And I know because my four and a half year old beats me at it everytime!

So here is a detailed after action report of a particularly cut and thrust game that involved a lot of double dealing, back handed gaming and truly devious tactical manouvering.
Enjoy!

Me - white ducks
Mini me - orange ducks
My dastardly gets first turn!

Arghh, I leave my home duck undefended and the genius of the
four year old sees an opportunity!
The action hots up, I advance towards the objective (orange mummy duck!)

I'm seriously threatened now, and with no assets (ducks) to block with
its looking like a fait accompli for the terrible mini me!


"I win" shouts my youthful opponent. Then in a show of pure
sportsmanship moves my final duck to the objective and
exclaims "Daddy wins too!"

The point of this post? After all the rules reading, painting of models, arguing over terrain and minutiae of the various games we play we need to keep in mind that they are just games played for fun. You can play anything, it really doesn't matter as long as its played for fun and in the right spirit. Hopefully that's what I'm doing with my kids, giving them a grounding in why we play. Its not about winning the game, its about having fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment