Thursday 22 August 2013

Flames of War - Overlord

As part of my ongoing Flame of War revival I ordered the new Allied book for the D-Day theatre and it finally arrived. Woohoo.
Chunky Hardback

The RRP of the new D-Day book is £30 however I ordered it through an Amazon reseller for the princely sum of £19.14 including postage. Upon receipt I was very pleased to see that the book is both hardbacked and oversown. There have been criticisms in the past that FoW books fall to bits because it has been stitched through the fold (Smyth sewing I think its called) however it looks like this has been addressed.


300 pages!
Now I haven’t actually read through it yet other than to peruse the US Airborne lists and luckily it incorporates everything I expected so I’m happy. Comparing it to Games Workshop’s Codex Dark Angels which also retails for £30 you quickly see that Battlefront believe in more is better. Codex DA contains 104 pages whereas Overlord contains 301 pages of which the final page is printed on the inside of the back cover. I know that GW tailor each of their supplements to a specific race/faction however maybe they should revise this tactic considering the competition in the market

And page 301 is on the inside of the back cover. Maxing out the space!
All in all a very well spent £19.14 and I’m going to order Atlantik Wall as soon as I’ve some cash in the bank.

2 comments:

  1. Cool, always good to grab a bargain.

    So will you be picking a list with the 'pizza box lids of doom'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed.

      By that do you mean the naval barrage?
      Not sure my opponents at the club would appreciate it, also I'll have to get myself a regular infantry company for the beach assaults.

      Cheers mate!

      Delete