Tuesday 2 June 2020

First attempt at molding

Last post I talked about the great Rubicon Firefly kitand how it came with an extra hull and turret. This got me to thinking could I get another tank out of this? My wife used to be a professional cake decorator and still had a couple of unused silicon mold kits left which she kindly donated to my crazy idea.  I managed to make a decent mold of both track sections and chassis,  but when it came to casting I made a right mess ad I foolishly used plaster of paris which is not the best material to get out of flexible silicon molds.
So back to the drawing board, and something a bit more sturdy, milliput!

Unfortunately I didn't have enough to build the whole chassis so I had to be creative and after casting only the front and rear I had to build the rest of the chassis from scratch.





Its not the prettiest model but should be passable once painted and weathered. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice work Ste, two Shermans for the price of one, plus the price of enough craft supplies to buy a second Sherman ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very Pyrrhic victory Scrivs, but im still claiming it!!!

    ReplyDelete