Friday 11 December 2015

Hedges and Trees

Like many hobbyists the world over I have a large backlog of unfinished projects sitting around gathering dust, so in the interests of clearing the decks ready for the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge I thought I’d finish a few things that have been lingering. So as a nice change from painting stuff for Africa I thought I’d finish some hedges and trees. The hedges have come out quite nicely if I do say myself and are super simple to make. Some years ago I bought a coir door matt to make wheat fields with and had a few random sized strips left. Wondering on what I could do with them I thought I’d slather a bit of PVA on a scrap and sprinkle some Woodland scenic scatter on to see whether it looked any good.

And hey presto we have a hedgerow. To make these I cut my strips to roughly 15mm wide and painted PVA liberally along the top and sides. I mixed my Scatter with some dried tea leaves from used tea bags (therefore more like dust than tea leaves) and rolled the PVA covered “hedge" in it.

Hedges are a bit of problem for vehicles etc if there are no gates so I used a little balsa to make some simple gates. I intend on using these for both 28mm and 15mm however I’ve only put together gates for 15mm at the moment.


The trees are a bit of a cheat as these are just armatures and flock that Ash gave me, they’re a pain to do as I’m using PVA to glue the foliage on and it takes ages. But I can sit watching TV doing it so I’ll keep chipping away whilst watching Rick and Co running away from Zombies again!

No comments:

Post a Comment