Sunday 6 September 2015

I’m building stuff again – this time its Walls!

So as part of my renewed interest in Flames of War I thought it may be prudent to have some 15mm scale terrain for my little toy tanks to fight over. Its all well and good playing with other folks stuff however what happens if I want to be the host.
"I'm the host, you're supposed to bring the terrain"
"But this is NZ, we brought a plate"

So prior to shipping out from the UK I was involved in organising a Bolt Action campaign day for my local club, this required the usual admin shenanigans (booking the room, organising players, terrain etc). As the setting would be the D-Day landings we needed a wide spread of terrain options, most of which we could cobble together from club stocks. However the one thing we were missing was ruined buildings suitable for WW2. In steps Ed, club member and also proprietor of www.wargamestournaments.comwho manufacturers laser cut mdf terrain, amongst other things. For an idea of his products visit his website or pop on over to Simon’s blog to see the set up he’s bought for Necromunda.

Anyway to cut a long story short Ed had a waste bin full of sheets that hadn’t quite cut right which he donated to the club however there few people willing to sort through and actually build anything from the off cuts. So both Geraint and I spent a good portion of one weekend in the summer of 2014 cobbling together some ruins out of the stuff Ed had donated. The campaign day went off without a hitch, we had two full boards of ruined city to fight through and everyone was happy.

Ok fast forward a year or so and here I am with a box full of mdf “junk” left over which I completely forgot about. So after sorting through I identified a load of scenic dressing from some ruined building sheets that look just about right for rendered walls.

A little cereal box basing and some liberal dry brushing and “voila” …….battered walls for FoW!

Now I just need to make some hedges, so bring on the scouring pads!

No comments:

Post a Comment