Thursday 14 May 2015

Campaign Day - Doo Ahh Diddy Dum Diddy Doo!

The desert village of Doo Ah Diddy was quiet, the only sound being the buzzing of flies around half cooked food, recently abandoned by the residents who had fled at the approach of the British Armoured squadron. Two platoons of Mathilda II Infantry Tanks took up station to the south whilst the lorried field engineers of the 8th army moved up alongside, taking cover behind the small stand of palm trees. Good natured rivalry could be heard exchanged between the Vickers machine platoon taking up position on the small hill overlooking the village and the Indian Rifle platoon on the western side of the battle line. This was not echoed on the eastern side of the line as the second Indian Rifle platoon along with a carrier platoon had already spotted the German AT guns dug in on the other side of the village.

The CO in command of the Indian Company had complete faith in his troops, “there isn’t much that can faze these boys” he thought for what they lacked in experience they made up for with a fearless nature. The 8th army pioneers and MG’s would hold their own, their experience in the desert standing them in good stead. The same could not be said for the Mathilda platoons, their commander epitomising the aristocracy’s outdated cavalry tactics of “Tally ho”. Could the Indian CO keep them in line? Moreover would the now outdated Infantry Tanks be able to stand up to the fearsome Tiger tanks of the Afrika Korp that was reported to be in the area. And how effective would the Mathilda’s 2pdr gun prove against the panzer divisions of the Afrika Korp

Hmmmm, only time would tell.

This was to be game 1 for me in the recent Flames of War gaming day at Chez Bowman, all 6 gamers had congregated nice and early to begin proceedings. There are two pretty good write ups of the action on the day by both Scott and Paul (click the names to enjoy the action!), maestro extraordinaire for the day would be Brett who is the mastermind behind the structure and special objectives and event cards (click here for more info). The forces were chosen from the North Africa and Italian lists with a view that it should fit the mid war theme. As this was intended as a friendly get together and a nice way to spend the day everyone had built well rounded forces that weren’t particularly beardy and fit the theme nicely.

Weirdly the theme for the day was suggested by me and yet I had very little that could be considered mid war! Therefore I had to scrabble and scrape to pull a force together and get it painted in time for the day. I had acquired an 8th army MG platoon and some field engineers from Scrivs sometime ago so this gave me good reason to get them painted. Now as I have spent most of my life living in the UK and not far from the centre of the wargaming world Nottingham (apparently) I had gotten pretty used to having instant access to miniatures and supplies. However now that I live in NZ I am at the mercy of mail order, with there being very few stockists on our little islands and most of the distributors having to ship from Europe. Luckily a Wellington model shop (Models Crafts and Hobbies) has a tiny box of FoW and I managed to pick up a single Indian Rifle Platoon.

As many of you will recall from previous posts I work better to a deadline therefore the force listed below was put together and painted in two weeks (except for 5 of the Mathildas which were completed for the painting challenge earlier in the year):

  • Indian CiC and 2iC
  • Indian Rifle Platoon – Cmd, 4x Rifles, Mortar, Sticky Bombs
  • Indian Rifle Platoon – Cmd, 4x Rifles, At Rifle, Sticky Bombs
  • 8th Army Engineer Field Platoon – Cmd, 3x Stands, Transports
  • 8th Army MG Platoon – Cmd, 4x MGs
  • 3x Mathilda II
  • 3x Mathilda II
  • 3x Universal Carriers (Recce)


So without further ado lets begin.

Game 1
vs Ashley (Scary Germans with a Tigger)

Argh, remember this is mid war and therefore the Tigger is ridiculously scary. On the plus side it is also ridiculously expensive so that limits the amount you can squeeze in. The pictures below tell the story however in a nut shell I’ll lay out the action.

First off the random event card removes one of the three objectives placed on the board before deployment. Suddenly Ash’s Tiger is guarding empty sand and my Indians opposing him are chuckling and preparing a nice cup of Darjeeling.

Meanwhile I redeploy a platoon of Mathilda’s who have learnt the hard way that a board Tiger commander can be a deadly thing to mock….Ouch.


My carrier platoon (Pauls models, not mine) make a dash along the far right flank and rain mg fire onto one of Ash’s infantry platoons. Ha, take that Jerry. I then advance my other Indian platoon and some Mathildas towards the objective after smoking the Pak 40’s with my cute little knee mortar (what else is it good for?).

You recall my smug “Ha”? Well Ash made me eat my words after obliterating the carrier platoon with the Pak’s. I really need to remember FoW fire arcs!

To put it bluntly not much happened on the left flank while on the right I tried to pull off an assault with the Indians and Mathilda’s on Jerry infantry and got smacked silly by defensive fire. Doh!


However I think I managed to score a win because I had more objective points than Ash so woohoo for me!

----------------------------------------------------------
The quiet of the British forward observation post of Dum Diddy in the Sicilian hills above Catania was shattered by the sound of Panzer engines approaching at speed. “Could this be the reported armoured thrust that HQ had warned them of” thought Captain Farquharson-Fanshawe-Smythe of the 4th Indian Division. Following the action at Doo Ah Diddy his company had been occupying a rear echelon position, recovering its strength in preparation for the invasion of Italy and now that the campaign was underway he was keen to prove his forces had what it takes to tackle Jerry armour (damn that Tiger!!!).

The mission to secure a forward obs post was perfect for his eager Indians and their 8th Army compatriots however it did mean that the armour assigned to him would have to stay in reserve, can’t have the cavalry dashing about and alerting the enemy to allied activity now can we!

Coming out of his command post astride the main road down to Catania the Captain received word from Sergeant Khan “Sahib, Jerry is approaching, looks like forward elements of armour only Sahib”.

“Good work Sergeant. Hold positions and lets show Jerry what a rifleman can do shall we”

Game 2
vs Scott (German Panzers)

The luck of draw meant that I started the game sat on top of two objectives with Scott claiming the third. This is ideal for infantry as I could sit in a static defensive position and try and hold off Scott’s aggressive posturing with my oodles of anti-tank weaponry (socks, oil and TNT!). Unfortunately Scott decided not to posture but rather to come straight at me all guns blazing with his CiC 2iC and Panzer Platoon (III’s and IV’s). I stuffed my veteran field engineers in the bushes, Indian platoon one at the cross roads and Indian platoon two sat on the hill. Unfortunately my clever little plan of “dig in and weather the pain” failed for the first two turns as the quartermaster had misread the requisition slip and instead of issuing spades to my men he issued “shades”. Accordingly my infantry looked very cool while they tried to dig holes with their bare hands.

Luckily it would seem that although Scott’s dice were on top form for rolls to hit with his machine guns my dice saw it as a challenge and consequently managed to pass tons of infantry saves.

An assault by Scott’s Panzer platoon on the hill top objective had my Indian’s reeling however they pulled it together and counterattacked, sticky bombing the living daylights of Scott’s tanks. Much hilarity ensued, however eventually Scott’s lone tank managed to slay some of my plucky infantry and push me off the objective.


Seeing as the battle was getting a bit uncomfortable my CO and 2iC interrupted their Tiffin to move over to the crossroads objective to provide a little support. This was perfectly timed to coincide with Scott’s reserves turning up, 3 of the Wehrmacht’s lovely new Panzers rolled up to my CO and unloaded a whole truck load of MG fire into him and his batman. Luckily you don’t get to be a Captain in the 4th Indian division without some measure of resilience and he shrugged off this rain of fire and hopped over the wall (actually it was more Scott’s good  sportsmanship reminding me that I can allocate some of the hits to nearby platoons!)
Eager to get in on the battle my Mathilda’s turned up at the far side of the battle and immediately put pedal to the metal, rushing forward a massive 16” (wow, why did I pick these bloody slow tanks with pop guns?).

Not to be outdone the field engineers jumped out of cover and assaulted Scott’s 2iC (I think), proving why they’re rated Veteran tank assault and kicking Jerry something silly, my CO getting in on the action too (although he was really just running for cover from the Panzer reserves that had just made him order some new shorts!)

Scott quite appropriately disagreed with my approach and dashed over with his fresh reserves (which now include two 8-rads) and promptly smacked my field engineers back to blighty
And we called it there. We had racked up an impressive amount of objective points, and morale points. I think I won however it was a hell of a battle and I’m not sure if either of us cared that much. With more time we’d have kept going however there was Game 3 to get squeezed in today……..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ruined monastery of Doo was reputed to be the resting place of one of the finger bones of an acolyte of the brother of Saint Bernard, patron saint of restorative beverages and big dogs, however to Sergeant Khan of the 4th Indian division it was just another wrecked building on a hill. Once more the poor bloody infantry had been pitted against the pride of German armoured might, led by none other than Hauptmann Brett Von Brettendorf developer of the Jerry tactic of randomisch objektivisch placementisch.

And yes, once again the British Amour was sat in reserve having a brew, “I’m sure they do it on purpose” Khan thought before walking back to his platoon. “Although Singh’s boys will keep them on their toes I guess” Singh being Sergeant Singh of 2nd platoon who had been rotated into reserve after the scrap at Dum Diddy.

Just then Captain Farquharson-Fanshawe-Smythe approached through the wheatfield “Ok Khan, lets get cracking”.

Game 3
Thats right my desert boys have got to fight in the lush green fields of Italy proper now however that’s not the worst of my worries. No I’m now facing the architect of the gaming day, random objective meister Brett and his one hit wonder Panzers (those are his own words). Unfortunately I started with half my force on the board which meant my MG’s, rifle platoon and Johnny come lately Mathilda platoon which I decided on at the last minute. Brett then placed his 5 tank panzer III/IV platoon and proceeded to smash the cack out of me for 3 turns, my force shedding morale points like it was college student stripping off at a frat house party. By the time my reserves started to arrive I had lost a rifle platoon, mg platoon and 2 out of 3 mathildas. Unfortunately for Brett I had one of his rather excellent event cards to play, therefore I slapped it out and called in an air strike from those excellent chaps over at the RAF. Rolling my dice I got 3 planes in my strike, placed the template conveniently over 3 panzers and promptly rolled three 2’s. Doh!

However Brett being the rather excellent chap that he is pointed out that with 3 planes in the strike you get to re-roll misses. Woohoo, 2 hits, 2 flaming panzers.
Not as good as it looks. This is the aftermath of the air strike and not the result of a broadside from the Mathildas!
So now things were looking a little better, I had all my forces on the board, Brett’s one hit wonder was starting crumble and I was feeling positive. Until of course I realised that my CiC & 2iC were gone, I had a single Bren Carrier parked very close to Bretts infantry and all he need to force a company morale check (which I would auto fail without any company command) was to take out that carrier.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Luckily I’m very likeable, the allies had already won the day because of Paul and Bryan’s wins, and Brett is very sporting so we agreed to call the game there.

Summary
Huge fun all round, excellent company, everyone tried their hardest to be nice to each other and Scotts significant other Tracy brought pizza for lunch. So in summary a very good way to spend a Saturday for all involved.

Oh and the Allies smashed the nasty H
un!


Good show, what what. Time for Tiffin!

No comments:

Post a Comment