Tuesday 13 January 2015

The Hobby Butterfly or Attack of the Random Painting Loony!


My blogging output has taken a little bit of beating recently due primarily to the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. I have been hobbying, just not blogging, oh and it’s also been Xmas which means lots of family time. Anyway if you want to find how its going in the painting challenge just head on over to http://thepaintingchallenge.blogspot.co.nz and have a look see. I’m currently languishing in 25th place with 310pts although I am in good company with ScottB in 27th however I’m expecting to see a marked increase in Scotts output now that the New Year hols are coming to an end!

On the gaming front I haven’t had many games recently, life appears to be getting in the way again. However I have managed to talk both Ashley and Scott into an intro to Bolt Action at my place tomorrow, probably the lure of not having to organise any of their own figures or terrain (which means they don’t have to pack away!), so I’ll aim to take pics and do some form of write up. Hopefully they’ll enjoy the simplicity and may decide to take the plunge and jump in, it’s a platoon level game so very minimal purchases required to actually play it!

Anyway here is a brief synopsis of my output of late, all of which were submissions to the comp!

Lord of the Rings – 8x Orcs
Some more of my budget second hand Orc’s, these are the ones that required repairs, mainly on weapons and such. Very simple paint scheme’s and my usual Vallejo sepia wash to give them a suitably grubby look. I think I’ve only got another 15 to go now!



Lord of the Rings – 6x Warg Riders
If I was more organised these would have made it into the Rider and Mount bonus round however I was too busy stuffing my face with the aforementioned cake decorating output. Much like the Orcs above these little devils were second hand and required a little repair prior to base coating and repainting. They’re painted in the same style as above although for some insane reason I used an old GW Black Ink on the Wargs which has given them a bit of shiny look (obviously they’ve recently been playing in a pond, like all happy doggies do!). I’ll see if it dies down once I get my dull coat spray. I have to say I’m not a big fan of these models, maybe it’s just that I haven’t found a colour scheme/style that I like

5x PSC 15mm M4A1 Shermans
They’ve been in the painting queue for some time and deserved a little attention. I really like Will’s stuff (apart from the weird German infantry, which he has now redone) and have quite a large stash of tanks in 15mm to get completed. And so here we have five M4A1, two with 75mm guns and three with the rather excellent 76mm gun. Now where did I put those good WW2 rules?



Naismith Sung Chinese 15mm
This is a weird one, I’ve had these sitting about for ages and suddenly got the urge to paint them just after Christmas day. So while my kids tried to destroy their wooden train track I set to painting them up with no other plan than to enjoy myself. What came out of it is a vague plan to collect an Empire of Tsuranuanni army, these figures being part of the Minwanabi force! I’m not sure whether I’ll actually do it however I did enjoy painting them and they’ve turned out pretty well so we’ll see. I’ve just got to figure out what to use for the Kingdom forces and the Cho-Ja? Anyone know any good 15mm Ant models?






No comments:

Post a Comment