Saturday 6 September 2014

Two weeks in and I'm Feeling Fine...........


The title alludes to a song lyric in case you're wondering. So we've made it two weeks without imploding, after our mental flight we're finally starting to relax and catch up on sleep. The kids have adjusted instantly as to them it's just one big holiday, having mummy and daddy to themselves for the last few weeks has probably helped.

Anyway the first week involved getting oriented and familiar with the surroundings and neighbourhoods, we spent quite a lot of time going to the public playgrounds and the beach. However three days in and the hire car got broken into, glass all over the kids car seats. What makes it worse is that we're in a really nice neighbourhood, we left nothing in the car to steal and it's one of those fancy ones that has a key less ignition so you can't even hot wire the damn thing. Oh and we hadn't sorted out our mobiles so we had no phone to call the hire company. In the end I had to drive it across Wellington, wind and rain blowing in the window, all the way to the airport to swap it for one that wasn't smashed up. Now I just have to wait for the hire company to charge us a stupid amount of money to replace a smashed quarterlight!

We did manage to fit in a little visit to the Weta Cave while we were getting oriented. To be honest I didn't even plan it, we just happened to be in Miramar and took a wrong turn and the kids shouted 'Trolls' (they've never even seen any of the films, it must be in the genes), so obviously we had to call in! We didn't watch the free documentary or pay for the guided tour however we know where it is now so when the kids are old enough we'll make it a family outing!

The second week started off pretty good with me settling in to the new job and finding my feet. I've managed to trade up on the view from the office window - from disused Thatcher era concrete hospital ward full of rotting windows and rogue pigeons to a 9th floor view across Wellington bay to the hills above Eastbourne. Even on a bad day it's one hell of a view!

Unfortunately no hobby time yet, not much motivation to be honest and priorities have dictated my activities (make sure the kids are ok, wife's ok and job's ok). However the lure of my limited stock of paints, brushes and LoTR mini's is calling, I've still to finish Boromir, Gandalf and Legolas before the ship arrives with my lead/plastic mountain and I'm hoping to hook up with blog follower Ashley and the Wellington Warlords soon. Not to mention meeting the author of the excellent scottswargaming.blogspot.com - Scott and hopefully see some of his awesome gaming boards in the flesh (so to speak).

Oh I did manage to read something a little bit war gaming related in the last two weeks - Killing Rommel by Steven Pressfield (I think). I loaded it onto my kindle before we left on the recommendation of the WWPD podcast and I have to say it was an excellent read. Although I'm focusing on LoTR at the moment I am also heavily obsessed with WW2 and in particular all activity in North Africa. The book is a fictional factual book (that is to say it's written almost as a biography however the main character/author doesn't exist and some of the action never happened). It focuses on the actions of the LRDG and their exploits during Monty's counter push after El Alamein.

So it seems I'm missing my WW2 figs however I don't have to wait too much longer as our stuff should arrive in Wellington on the 22nd (all being well). I did have a nightmare moment when, upon logging in to the shippers website and seeing where our ship was it said that it was about to dock in Busan Newport (South Korea) which is definitely not on the way to NZ. A few panicked emails later and it turns out that they simply didn't up date the info online as our container changed ship at Singapore.

So hopefully the next post should be back on track with hobby related content as we're finally getting settled and I can start thinking about stuff again.

Laters

Ste

No comments:

Post a Comment