Monday 25 May 2015

The Dark Ages were really dark!

Then I took my shades off and realised that it was still dark, mainly because the light in my house sucks, however I am working on that. I have a secret plan in preparation that I'll just refer to as the buyanewhousebutdon'tletanyoneknow plan of secretness!

Anyway, the hobby butterfly has struck again although this time its all Ash's fault. You see I had these great plans to refocus my attention to FoW and LoTR, but mainly FoW as I've volunteered to be the replacement for Paul's planned team mate for the Panzerschreck tournament this year, who unfortunately had to pull out due to real world issues. So, much practice is required but not a whole lot of painting for me due to Paul's super, super, super secret devious plan of super-ness (more on that later)!

So I find myself de-motivated on the 15mm WW2 front and consequently with some spare hobby time that requires focusing. Flutter, flutter as I drift around in my hobby butterfly madness, then in walks Ash with his ever chipper Sheffield Yorkshireness saying "ere mate, hast tha sin that Vikings telly show, tis proper good!"
"Innit" I reply (I am from Bradford after all).

And blam, I'm digging out my Saxons, and reaquainting myself with the Saga battle boards. Oh and painting up some Jomsvikings whilst quietly chanting "wrath, wrath, wraaatth, wrath" to the jaws tune!

Ok now I've blathered on for a while on various topics without actually saying anything I'll get down to business. Ash and I got together in my cliff top chateaux one cold windy NZ night for a spot of Saga battle board silliness. I'd thrown together two warbands out of my WAB Anglo Saxons, one of them obviously Saxons and the other proxying as Vikings (Ash is waiting for his to be delivered) and we set too! We played a nice simple 4pt game of Clash of Warlords (or "who's dad is the hardest"), mainly so we could both get acquainted/reacquainted with the rules.

I'd actually forgotten how easy Saga is to play, the rules are amazingly basic and simple however after about two turns Ash had figured out the amazingness that is the battle boards. We only got through about 4 turns, although I did manage to smash his Warlord down, however I'm not sure how long my easy wins will last as Ash has played Magic The Gathering before and knows the importance of combos that make your opponent cry, Saga being all about combinations of abilities that make you want to wet yourself in either a) fear because you're on the receiving end; or b) joy because you get to do really unpleasant things to people you consider to be your friends!

Anyway we had a couple of comedy moments - my big hearthguard unit failing to hurt his small hirdmen who then promptly stomped them with some nice combination of viking violence. Oh and my Warlord being suckered into charging his Warlord and then wasting his abilities as Ash had a Bondi unit stood nearby that he could palm the wounds off on to.


For a change all the models are mine along with the terrain, however as previously mentioned the lighting is not mine but my landlords and therefore out of my control (but not for long, mwahahahaha!) Therefore I'm sorry about the state of the pictures, I shall endeavor to rectify before our next game!

No comments:

Post a Comment