Sunday 21 August 2016

Demo Game at Call To Arms

Call To Arms (CTA) is the annual Wellington gaming event, many dice are rolled, distances measured and cups of tea/coffee drunk. To fit my very busy personal life, Mrs Off t'Club and I have an agreement that once a year I can devote a weekend to my hobby and this year it was going to be Panzerschreck, unfortunately my health disagreed this year and both mine and teammate Ashley's work diaries decided to get rammed and therefore we had to bow out this year (and my 4th Indian were coming along so nicely!)
So at quite short notice we both decided to devote a day to demoing Bolt Action and therefore booked ourselves a table at CTA (we also thought it may help out mate Scott's sales of hobby related crack!).

So we rolled up early to set up in the drizzling sleet with our bundles of terrain. For anyone that didn't know Bolt Action is Warlord Games WW2 game and has been instrumental in attracting whole swathes of 40k players from the ranks of the evil empire across to historical gaming due to its neat, clean mechanic and competitive army lists (of which I am not a big fan). BA is commonly referred to as WW2 lite primarily because of the aforementioned competitive army lists that don't necessarily reflect the historical reality.
However if you play a game that feels like WW2 and if you don't obsess over the minutia of points values and damage points, then it gives quite a satisfying game. I must say that Chain of Command is probably a better game for the period, but it just doesn't gel well with my neanderthal brain!

Anyway we demoed BA for the day playing 3 games with pretty equal forces (we didn't use points values) and managed to garner a reasonable amount of interest.

Below is a pic dump of our table to give you a feel for what went down! 
Ash provided the German forces, I the Brits. All vehicles were Ash's (he's so much better than me at painting tanks!) and he also provided the ruined buildings and base boards. All other terrain came from my collection (yayy I finished my Sarissa buildings).

Unfortunately I didn't get much chance to take photos of any of the other splendid display games that were there however I shall endeavour to rectify that next year. There was however a very nice demo game of Sharp Practice 2 being played next to us, which almost convinced Ash to enter the wonderful world of Napoleonic's (I'll keep working on him), for an entertaining write up (with pics) head on over to von Peter Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment