Sunday 29 November 2015

Saga - Vikings vs Anglo Saxons

Ash and I got together recently to carry on our Saga intro (revival) with a 6 pt game of clash of Warlords. I've decided to deny my hobby butterfly tendencies and stick with Anglo Saxons rather than flit from faction to faction and I have to say I'm quiet enjoying it.


Anyway on to the action, I took 4 units of warriors, hearthguard and levies with Ash opting for 2 nasty hearthguard units, a unit if warriors, berserkers and the Sons of Death (I can't spell the Gaelic name for these nasty mercenaries!)

I was hosting tonight so I decided to use my recently finished hills and river, luckily I remembered to put a ford in the river and also lay a rickety bridge across the gorge made by the two hills.

My tactics for this game were simple, try and draw Ash to me and wear him down with my greater numbers. The river was my friend here as I had no intention of crossing it into the wrath of Ash's marauding Vikings. So it was simply march up and wait

I think I'll let the pics do most of the talking however suffice it to say that my dice were good and Ash's were bad.
The opening shot, thats me on the left with the tons of
warriors.

Sneaking over the crest of the hill are the Sons of Death
(you can just see them peeking over the the top).
Can my only hearthguard unit and some warriors hold them off?

Capture the ford! I send my Warlord and his pet levies to
challenge Ashley's crossing

Another one of Ash's dastardly Hearthguard units sneaking
up my left flank

The Baddie, a Viking warlord in all his glory

Thats me at the bottom, as you can see I'm going for the classic
Saxon shieldwall approach.
Nice saxon shield wall!
"Defend the farm"

Its the Sons of Death sneaking over the hill. Hang on a
minute where's the rest of them. Oh yeah Ash is using there
multiple activations skill to redeploy them. Now my
Hearthguard are stuck on the hill with no-one to play with

But my Hearthguard guard the bridge anyway!

Damn Sons of Death facing off against my Warriors. Many
insults are slung across the river

Meanwhile Ash pushes his berserkers through the ford, 16 attacks
from 4  models. Thats right 16!

Time to feed them my levies, "Get em boys!"

The Sons get ready to go playing in the river

And the action begins o the left flank. Its almost like Ash
has a plan!

"Oi Brian, whats going on down there do you think"
"Nowt Fred, now then what do ya think of this bridge. It's a
right good bit o'woodwork don't ya think?"

2 levies left, but whats this, no berserkers. Ha!
I'd been saving a Saga ability that turns my levies into warriors,
then I loaded them up on extra attacks and butchered the naked
crazy loons!

The Son attacked but failed to destroy my warriors (and I have
loads of them!)

Mano E Mano. Warlord vs Warlord time and I have warriors to
back me up. At this point Ash had lost a couple of units and
therefore had less Saga dice than me.

Damn Viking Warlords are hard to kill, it was a damn
close thing but I hard some lackeys...err I mean brave
comrades who would die for the cause but unfortunately
Ash had none nearby.

And that was that. I held my nerve whereas Ash took the risks that almost paid off. Its hard playing Anglo Saxons as they have a lack of really offensive abilities but they certainly can wear your opponent down. I guarantee it won't go my way next time though.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment