Wednesday 1 April 2015

First thing I've painted since the end of the challenge - Battlefleet Gothic

Yup, you read right, I've painted up some chaos cruisers to oppose my imperial fleet. I haven't played BFG for probably about 7 years but kept my fleet and the rule books in storage. I always enjoyed the game, particularly the spectacle of it and planned on returning to it again at some point.

Anyway one of the things that came out of the challenge for me was a desire to paint something nostalgic, so a quick rummage in the bits box resulted in finding 6 plastic chaos cruisers in various states of disrepair. So I set to with a sharp knife, some odds and sods of plastic leftovers and some greenstuff and hey presto!


The choice of allegiance for each ship was pretty much based on how they turned out when I was kit bashing them together, hence the reason there are 2 Tzeentch, 2 Khorne and only one Slaanesh and one Nurgle.

The only ship I actually planned was the Nurgle one as I wanted to try out some greenstuff mutations and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I was trying to make it look rotten but also alive, hence the small section of spine showing to the rear. You can't quite make them out but I added some bulbous pustule type bulges underneath too.


The two Tzeentch ships were simple kit bashes, the towers were left over Tyranid guns and the fire was from the plastic balrog base. I'm not too enamored of the paint job but it'll do as the scale is so reduced you can't really see much detail when gaming.


The two khorne ships look better in real life, the pictures don't really show up the color very well. Also I did paint and glaze the eyes on the metal skulls as possessed looking which turned out better than I hoped but you can't really tell.


And finally the Slaanesh ship is supposed to look like a sexy beast but has ended up looking a tad Graham Norton rather than George Clooney. I wanted to paint it pink until I realized I don't have pink so went with purple instead. I added the metal "wings"as an after thought but they kind of give it a dark eldar look which doesn't really work.


Anyway that should do as an opposing force should I want to play BFG with anyone local. I've got electronic copies of the rules should I find someone who is actually interested in the game, however since GW canned all the "good" games in favor of the high return, minimum effort games I don't expect there will be any new blood picking this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment