Monday 29 September 2014

“A Dwarf a day keeps the doctor away”

months without access to any of my painting supplies or models and I was starting to go a little bit crazzzyyyyy. Trying to get any hobbying done with limited supplies, no working space, poor light or variety of models is pretty demoralising. You don’t realise how good you’ve got it till it’s gone!

Anyway whilst completing Borosean, erm I mean Beanomir I looked woefully at my model collection and thought “what shall I paint next? Is it Legolas or shall I do something completely erm, the same and paint Gandalf?” after all that’s pretty much all I brought with me. However whilst rummaging in my toiletry bag of Vallejo paints (yes that’s what I was keeping them in) I spotted something that had been staring at me for the last 7 years without really getting the attention it deserves. Bear with me as I elaborate.

Much like many people that work in an office environment you manage to collect all manner of knick knacks that sit on your computer monitor and personalise your space. I don’t recall why but I’ve had an old GW Troll Slayer staring aggressively from the top of my monitor for ages. In the mad scramble to pack everything up for our mammoth journey to NZ I completely forgot to empty my desk until my very last day at work. So shoving everything into a card board box, I said my tearful goodbyes (yeah right) and legged it out the door.

Obviously I had piles of crap that I’d probably never use or need again so prior to our flight I sat one evening and applied my very technical sorting methodology – Bin, Charity, Keep! Lots went in the bin, UK charities may have received something useful they could sell and a very select few made it to my keep pile, the Troll slayer being one of them. So not knowing what to do with him and running out of room in the caravan we were living in at the time I bunged him unceremoniously into my paint bag!

Fast forward three months and there I am running out of fun things to paint and needing a break from the Fellowship, and who decides to peer up from beneath the paint pile but none other than Snorri Guntharrsson, scourge of the two seas (he’s not that keen on ships so he’s only managed to see two seas so far).


Since Scott painted up the rather exciting pirate assassin Edward Kenway for his son Chris (http://scottswargaming.blogspot.co.nz/2014/09/edward-kenway-pirate-assassin.html?m=1) I’ve had some rather annoying piratical urges. I thought it might not be prudent to conduct any actual piratical activity in Wellington as I’m sure the authorities would frown on such behaviour (and kick us out of the country), so I decided to sate my urges by painting some stripy pants! I know it’s not really up there with Pirates of the Caribbean but its scratched that itch for a while. I have a few more Dwarves of ill repute that can be co-opted into a pirate themed world so you may see some more gracing these pages before long


Now if I can just get my hands on Long Drong’s Slayers……..!

No comments:

Post a Comment